Despite the world conspiring against us, we actually moved into our new house. It was a very, very long three month process that I don't ever want to repeat, but I'm glad we had the opportunity to do it. We had to switch mortgage lenders midstream because our first broker kept making mistakes, so everything took longer than it should have. In the end, I'm just glad everything worked out. It looked very doubtful for a while there.
Once we finally got to closing, the real fun started. The plan was to rent a Uhaul and move on Saturday, but Darreck and some buddies from work changed up the plan and did everything with trucks on Friday. Unfortunately, that meant I didn't get to pack the last few miscellaneous loads. It was a total mess. On top of that, the piano wouldn't fit down the stairs which totally upended my plan for my studio. I think I handled it with grace and dignity- kind of a first for me :)
Our first week in the new house did not go smoothly, however, The fridge was broken and needed repaired, the gas range had to be tossed and replaced, the sprinkler system needed a professional reset, and the roof leaked, wrecking some drywall in the upstairs bathroom. Luckily, we found good Samaritans all along the way, especially Kayla's debate coach who fixed our roof without any compensation. He was an incredibly good guy.
We're unpacked now and things are starting to settle down. We still don't have a stove, but all will be well soon enough. I'm ready for everything to be fixed and unpacked and more homey, but now we're waiting on the carpet and paint for the basement to get done. It's still going to be awhile. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to the fall. Someday soon things will feel normal again.
No comments:
Post a Comment