Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mini-Max update

Nothing much happened this week, so I thought I'd share some cute Max stuff:
  • His new trick is setting the table. When I'm making dinner, he goes to the utensil drawer and grabs chopsticks, butter knives, slotted spoons, and other useful things and sets a few at each place. He even puts some out for Darreck every night, regardless of whether or not he's home.
  • His language has exploded! He can now parrot back almost anything we say (not always a good thing!) and has started combining words into short phrases.
  • He can tell you what a cow says, a snake says, and what a lion says. He's also really close to getting down the duck sound. However, his performance of these sounds is a little hit and miss. In true Max fashion, he doesn't like to do anything on demand.
  • Nursery on Sundays is no longer a battle. He goes straight from Sacrament and makes a be-line for the toys. It's been such a huge blessing with my new calling in the primary presidency and Darreck going to work during the third hour.
  • Eating is either feast or famine. He either eats us out of house and home or won't touch anything for days. And there's no persuading him otherwise.
  • On the not so nice side, he's become binky-dependant, and Darreck keeps threatening to take it away permanently. The rule has always been that he only gets it during bedtime and nap time, but he's gotten really difficult when we take it away. Which leads me to...
  • Max has discovered tantrums. In a big way. Unlucky for him, Darreck and I have been there, done that before with clients, and we ignore him completely. He'll learn.
Lucky for us, he's still a really sweet little boy. He loves to please us, and has such a personable disposition. It also helps that he's cuter than anything, which means he gets away with a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, 18 months was when binkies got tough to dispose of around here as well. Jeff is all for them having it for as long as they "need" it and if it were up to me, the plug would be gone by age 1. We compromise(or I just get a little sneaky) and it disappeared at around 18 months for both boys. We found cold turkey to work the best. They forget about it after a few days as long as you stick with it and don't ever give in. I refuse to have 2 kids with binkies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, thanks! I'm the one who's pretty lenient on binky for bedtime (mostly because Max has always been a bad sleeper) but Darreck is a stickler. He wants it gone now, but I know I'll be the one getting up 15 times each night. So far my laziness is winning out :)

    ReplyDelete