Sunday, January 15, 2012

My (very scary) New Calling

I always thought I could handle just about any calling in the church with a lot of prayer and good mentors around me. And then I got called as the ward organist. See, when you're the organist you have to have some natural talent (which I'm kinda iffy on) and no one (and I mean noooo one) is there to back you up. The prayer still helps, but you're pretty much up there playing solo week after week. Add that to my debilitating stage fright, and it was the first time in my life I ever wondered why I said yes to a calling- especially since it's a second calling, in addition to my calling in the primary presidency.

So, I went to church this week all prepared to be terrified, but it actually turned out pretty well thanks to some awesome friends. One friend wrote me a super-sweet and encouraging note and left it on the organ, while a few more wished me luck before the meeting started. Then, after church, a few more friends who aren't in the ward checked in to see how I did. I ended up feeling a lot more loved than nervous.

I hope that, every once in awhile on a rare occasion, I have enough insight to be that type of friend for someone else. I oftentimes feel like I don't know what to say when I'm trying to support someone else, but I really, really want to learn. I'm so thankful for all the people in my life who make me feel loved and special, and it's a talent I hope I can better develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment