Friday, April 11, 2014

A Rough Month

It's been way, way too long since I posted, but there hasn't been much good to report this month. I love recording the good times for posterity, but I have a harder time talking about the rough patches. For starters, this has been the longest, coldest winter in recorded history. Now that we're finally getting some sunshine I'm finally getting some better perspective. Most of this month has been marked by Luke's allergies flaring up with no clue as to the cause. We're kind of at a loss for what to do with him, but we certainly feel bad that he's so miserable.

After inconclusive results from the allergist, the only sure thing is that we need to get rid of Tana. It was extremely hard on all of us to say goodbye to our beloved kitty. She is the best cat I've ever met- sweet and affectionate without being clingy, very quiet, and great with the kids. She's in foster care now, waiting to find a new family, and it's been hard on me not knowing how everything will turn out for her. Now we're in the process of getting rid of the pet dander, which leads to...

We've been house hunting to the point of putting an offer on a house and listing ours. After the allergist told us it would take 18-24 for the cat dander to fully denature, we thought that moving would probably work best. The problem is that we can't start an elimination diet to find out what foods he's sensitive to with him still reacting to the cat. There are too many cross-sensitivities to fully understand where the true problem lies. We lost out on the house we wanted, then we were stuck with our house on the market and no suitable alternatives. We walked through at least 25 houses, none of which were as nice as our current home. It was frustrating, to say the least. We finally made the decision to pull our house off the market, which probably made us look incredibly flaky to everyone else. Currently, we're directing our focus on waging war with the cat dander. It's our only viable option right now.

In the middle of all this, I managed to re-injure my back. After a few days of suffering, my mom finally convinced me to see a chiropractor, which worked out pretty well. My entire family jumped into action, with Darreck taking time off from work, and my mom feeding us and running me around to appointments. I feel so blessed to have family nearby and ready to help out.

The other drama of the month revolves around Darreck's family, again. As usual. I've come to determine that there are three types of trials: self made, circumstantial, and the result of other's agency. The house hunt was self-made drama, but my back and Luke's allergies are purely circumstantial. The problems with Darreck's family stem from their bad choices, which negatively impact our entire family. I'm not entirely sure why we couldn't space them out better, but apparently when it rains it pours. Right now I'm looking forward to spring and summer, hoping that they bring better times. My drama meter is completely full for the next month (year, decade...). I have a very low tolerance for chaos, but I'm sure there's something to be learned in all this. I haven't quite figured out what that lesson is yet, but it will come in it's own due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment