Thursday, September 4, 2014

First Day of Kindergarten


Max started school today! Actually, we kind of started yesterday with a kindergarten orientation that lasted most of the morning, but today was the real thing. The night before we laid out his clothes, packed his lunch, and he received a father's blessing from Darreck. I was worried about him not sleeping well or being apprehensive, but everything went perfect. I'm so proud of our brave little guy! This morning, after our pretty normal breakfast of cereal, the entire family walked him to school. I have to hand it to Morningside Elementary- they really go all out! The theme this year is "Explore and Soar" and many of the teachers dressed in astronaut costumes. Orbit, the Voyagers mascot, even made an appearance. It was very exciting for the kids.

I wish I had more to say about the first day of school, but Max was a little vague on the exact details. I know that he liked his cold lunch and thought hot lunch looked gross. I also know that his favorite part of the day was computer lab. He said he ran around a lot in gym and tripped over some balls, and that his teacher read them a book using the overhead projector. That's about all I got, and even that information took some serious prodding. It's a little unnerving not knowing what he did all day, but I trust that he had a good time and was well protected. 

His teacher this year is Jeanine Forder, and he has two friends- Ben and Oliver- in his class. I think it helped him a lot to have some familiar faces on the first day. The report I got from his teacher was that he was chatty, no surprise there, but she's sure he'll figure out socially acceptable times to share his enthusiasm. She also said that he's obviously very bright, but once again that's not a big surprise. Most importantly, he's excited to go back tomorrow. That's really all that counts at this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment