Sunday, August 5, 2012

Baby's First Week

We had a wonderful first week with baby Luke! Just a few observations that I don't trust myself to remember:
  • I forgot how much babies sleep! That, or Max never really slept that much (which is equally possible). Luke is giving me one good 4 hour stretch followed by a 3 hour stretch every night, and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
  • I was totally obsessed with finding a pattern with Max's sleeping and eating, and I'm completely ignoring it this time. And, I'm so much happier this way. Sometimes it pays to relinquish control. 
  • I love not having to worry about colds and flues in August, but recovering from pregnancy in 90+ degree heat isn't much better than being pregnant in 90+ degree heat. 
  • Luke, so far, is a wonderful baby. He passed his jaundice tests (barely, but he passed), and he's kept the crying to a minimum so far. He's just been a good natured little guy up to this point. 
  • Max has done better with the transition than I ever thought he would. I have the world's best little preschooler. Yeah, he's been a little hyper, but he's had no signs of jealousy or anger towards Luke. I'm so proud of him!
Everything this time around just seems so much easier. That's really the only way I can sum it all up. With Max, everything was up in the air- school was barely done, Darreck didn't have a job yet, and we weren't sure where we'd be living in a month. Now, Darreck gets to spend three weeks home with us, and we're extremely settled for the time being. I feel overwhelming gratitude for not just my wonderful baby, but also for our circumstances. I feel like I'm really getting to enjoy having a newborn this time around, and I'm trying to soak in every minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment