Tonight was the best symphony concert ever! We brought in a guest pianist/comedian (although, he got his degree from Julliard, so he still had some serious chops). We did some great pieces- everything from Scott Joplin to Pink Panther to Rachmaninoff. It was definately not a stodgy, run-of-the-mill symphony concert, and it reminded me why I love playing music so much.
Sometimes it's easy, in classical music, to start to take it too seriously and lose the joy that music is supposed to bring into the lives of your audience. All of a sudden, minor mistakes start to look like personality flaws and I wonder if I'm even good enough to be playing. Tonight, however, I made a million little mistakes (mostly because I was laughing) and didn't care one bit because I was genuinely having fun and so was the audience.
It's an amazing thing when an audience comes together, all reminiscing about memories a particular song evokes. We laughed over Chariots of Fire, remembered what love felt like during As Time Goes By, and joined in singing when the pianist added the Montana state song to jazzed up version of chopsticks.
It's nights like these where I know I have the best job in the world, and I wouldn't trade the talents I've been blessed with for anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment