We had a rather un-traditional first Thanksgiving for Max today. My mom, grandma, and sister went to Utah and left Darreck, Max, my dad, and I to fend for ourselves. So, while traditionalist grandma is away, we decided to play. We ditched the traditional turkey and stuffing in favor of fresh clam chowder, king crab legs, lobster tail, and shrimp scampi. Now that's something to be thankful for.
Unfortunately for us, the day did have its ups and downs. After making a meal worthy of Red Lobster, I managed to burn the rice- yes, the rice- in my parent's super microwave. Stupid thing, I'm maintaining its the microwave's fault. Also, Max puked up his sweet potatoes (the only traditional thing we had) in the middle of our meal. He spent most of the day in nothing but a diaper because his clothes were disgusting. We cranked up the heat and rolled with it, but seriously, yuck.
The strangest part of today, however, was how quiet it was. Usually, my mom and grandma take in strays on holidays, so the house is full of people. We had a very simple, quiet holiday all to ourselves. Well, except for Darreck. He got roughed up playing a very aggressive game of flag football with his friends this morning. Overall, the day just didn't feel like normal, but not necessarily in a bad way.
The most important thing to remember is how much I have to be thankful for this year. A brand new Max, graduating college, and getting to move back to my hometown. I have been incredibly blessed by my loving Heavenly Father, and it didn't take turkey to help me remember that all day.
No comments:
Post a Comment