Sunday, August 7, 2011

Summer-time Blues (and 200 post!)

This summer has been painfully boring. No, seriously. Darreck spent all June working- doing camps, working at the cemetery, and a ton of homework. July we battled the car and other minor catastrophes. So, a few weeks ago, we decided no more. We sat down with a calendar and listed all the things we wanted to do this summer and hadn't got around to yet, and we assigned each activity a day. Because, really, life is too short to have a sucky summer.

We just got past our first week and we went to the fair (twice), went swimming, went on a long family bike ride, found a new park, and had a good, old-fashioned family movie night, complete with ridiculous amounts of junk food. Tomorrow we're going to camp in my parent's backyard- well, make dinner in the fire pit, pitch a tent, sing silly songs, then go home to sleep. We're also going to another baseball game, attending the community band concert, going swimming again, and hiking up to Memorial Falls on Saturday. In fact, we have something planned every day until Darreck goes back to work on the 22nd. I'll let you know how it all goes.

I think that's my single biggest fear about getting older. I hate the thought of missing out on anything. I want to experience as many new things and meet as many new people as I can, but life so often gets in the way. Well, life and a lack of money, that is :) I can't do much about the money right now, but I can make sure we experience everything we can in our own town. I may have lived here my whole life, but I still feel like there is so much more to see and do. I figure that if you only get one chance here on earth, and let's face it, that's all any of us will get, we might as well make the absolute most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment