Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Jenny Oaks Baker

Interesting weekend. Hmmm, not totally sure where to start. Jenny Oaks Baker- Julliard trained violinist and daughter of Elder Oaks- was in town this weekend to play for the symphony and play a fireside. I got to drive her around on Saturday, play with her for the symphony concert, attend the Sunday fireside, and meet her for breakfast before she went home Monday. It was kind of a mixed experience. First and foremost, I think she's a really sweet girl, very genuine and very funny. However, I also got the vibe that we would not be friends if we lived near each other. This is a person I've looked up to since I was a kid, and while she was perfectly pleasant, she exhibits a lot of the qualities I'm not particularly fond of in myself.

Maybe my problem is that we're too much alike. For example, she shared a story where she was upset over being asked to play a simple piece that didn't showcase her abilities well for President Hinckley's 90th birthday, and she got really upset about it. She obviously learned a lesson from it, but it made me really stop and think how wrapped up I can get in appearances at times. She was also (justifiably upset) at the symphony for not a) already knowing who she was and b) not treating her like she was a big deal. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten upset at symphony for feeling under-appreciated. Not a fun feeling. However, paranoia, narcissism, and jealousy seem to be common themes among violinists. So, which came first: do we choose violin because we have the personality, or does playing violin (which is insanely competitive) make us all a little crazy.

Either way, I wish Jenny the best and I'll continue to buy her CDs. However, it did make me take a harder look at my own tendencies and want to try and do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment