Thursday, December 20, 2012

2012 Winter Recital


Tonight was my student's 2012 winter recital, and they all did SO well! I love recital time :) It's funny, I always get just as nervous as the kids. It's hard for me to watch them struggle (or even do really well) and know that I can't jump in and help. Recital is sink or swim time, and it's my kids' chance to see how they can do without a safety net. Luckily, everyone did really, really well. It was the first recital where I expected all my kiddos to do well, and they all did. It's a nice feeling not having a room full of beginners! In fact, this was originally supposed to be a very part-time job, but I'm having to turn people away. I get to work with a great group of kids, and I'm hoping I get to stick with all of them for a long time.

More than anything else, I love my job! I started teaching to supplement our family income, but I can truly say now that I love it. It's fulfilling to see my students grow and progress with their talents. But it's not even just about musical talent. I watch the kids stand and introduce themselves and their songs. Then, I watch them keep composed through mistakes and act graciously when they do well. Musical lessons are about much more than just learning music. It takes bravery, grace, and perseverance to study music, and I hope that's what I'm helping my students learn.

Also, I got some requests tonight to play at our next recital, so I'm putting it in writing so I have to follow through. Next recital, in May, I'm going to play a song as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment