Monday, December 31, 2012

One Last Post For 2012

Figured I should include one last post for 2012- a sort of sum up to the last 12 months  This has been a year of highs and lows, but overall it's been an amazing journey.

Of course, the obvious big high was the birth of Luke in July. We've been adjusting well to being a family of four, and we're so thankful to have his sweet, calm little spirit in our home. After Max's difficult newborn phase, Luke helped restore our faith in having children ;) It's been a surprisingly seamless transition  which no one was expecting. There have been more sleepless nights and a lot more laundry, but he just fits with us perfectly. It's been fun to to see him grow and change, and I know that the next few months are going to bring even more drastic changes. I'm going to chalk the pregnancy up to the low part of the year, knowing that it was worth every ache and pain. I won't miss the morning sickness, sore muscles, and physical therapy in the coming year!

Another new and fun adventure this year has been my new blog- moderatleycrunchy.blogspot.com. I've been writing about all things green, including our adventures cloth diapering Luke. It all started as a way to have a creative outlet after quitting symphony, but it has blossomed into a lot of guest writing for a variety of blogs. Writing has been very therapeutic for me, and I'm glad my family has tolerated my new hobby.

Speaking of symphony, I expected to be very sad having to quit symphony after my carpal tunnel didn't go away, but it has turned into a huge blessing. I didn't fully realize how negative the people in symphony were, and how negative it made me. I'm really glad to be out of that environment and focusing on my family. Another bonus, I've also had more time this year to teach violin and piano, and I'm having such a blast with my kids! Teaching has both helped our family finances and helped me find structure in my day to day life.

Huge high point this year was Darreck's graduation and being done (for now!) with school. So proud that he got his master's degree, and so thankful that he did it early enough that the kids won't remember it. Getting his degree was a huge sacrifice of time, and we missed him for the 18 months when he was working on it. However, now that it's over and done, we can all agree it was worth every little inconvenience. Also, his job has been going much better this school year, and it's been a relief to have him fitting in better in his work's slightly wonky culture. A happy husband equals a happy family.

Max has been the greatest challenge and also one of the greatest blessings of our year. We love his big personality and his eagerness to experience the world. However, his third year will hopefully go down as his most challenging year. He's not very fond of the word no, and he's been pretty difficult to discipline. He has a ton of energy, and spends most of his days ping-ponging off the walls, but I know that we can find a positive direction to harness that energy into! We wouldn't trade him for the world :)

I feel so overwhelmingly blessed going into 2013. I have a great husband, two wonderful kids, a beautiful home, and our extended family nearby. Most importantly, we've been blessed to have faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and the gospel brings an immeasurable amount of peace, harmony, and hope into our lives. I know that we are guided and directed every day as we strive to be close to the Holy Ghost, and I know that God is in the details of our lives when we allow him to be. I feel His presence daily and know that I am blessed as I follow His commandments. I'm thankful for the commandments and the guidance they give me in my life. I'm thankful for my family and the sure knowledge that we will be together forever, no matter what the years bring. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet post Heather. I'm glad Luke's been an easier baby for you. ;) And I'm glad quitting symphony has proved to be a blessing for you. Congrats to Darreck on his master's degree. :)

    ReplyDelete