We survived our first week with newborn Jack, and it was pretty much successful. Well, at least no one died! It was definitely a struggle with Darreck gone a lot of the time, but we muddled through. Jack was great, but that isn't a surprise given that he sleeps 20+ hours each day. The bigger boys decided it was a great week to test the boundaries and my patience. Playing referee is a full-time job in itself, forget taking care of the baby and managing the household. Luke kept sneaking food while I was feeding Jack, including downing half a pack of gum in one sitting. Max was being his usual bossy self, trying to dictate to Luke how to play, where to be, and when he could speak. There was lots of screaming and hitting, but like I said, we muddled through.
So far, Jack has been a great baby. He has his nights and days straight, which has been a huge blessing to me. I may not be getting much uninterrupted sleep, but at least I'm getting sleep. He's still not quite sure how to be awake and happy at the same time, but that will come with time. He's certainly more vocal than Luke was, but nothing even close to how loud Max was. It's really funny how different they all have been as newborns.
As for me, I'm enjoying the things that I take for granted most of my life, such as the ability to roll over in bed and see my feet. I'm not missing being pregnant one bit, and now my attention has turned to erasing all effects of pregnancy on my body. I'm more than ready to feel like myself again.
With Darreck home this week, I'm anticipating a smoother week. We shall see. Sometimes having daddy around is just exciting enough to get Max and Luke completely riled up. It really could go either way. In the meantime, here are even more pictures. We may have a thumb sucker on our hands!
No comments:
Post a Comment