Saturday, July 26, 2014

Luke's Big Birthday Party

This year we were faced with horribly conflicting schedules on Luke's birthday, so we decided to hold his party today, a few days early. And still, not everyone could make it! Such is life sometimes. We had a Sesame Street theme, mostly because he loves Elmo, even though he's never watched Sesame Street once in his entire little life. But, it made for some cute balloons.




Even though I usually love doing cute cakes, it was a little harder with Luke's multitude of allergies, so I settled on making a "crazy cake" with marshmallow fluff frosting. I figured he'd appreciate the chocolate since he gets it so rarely. The cake turned out... um... interesting. It was the consistency of fudge brownies and almost no one liked the marshmallow topping on a cake. Not to mention that it was pretty much ugly. We'll have to keep brainstorming for next year.



The party itself was also on the interesting side. Darreck's mom thought it was next week, and Max didn't get along very well with the three kids Hales are fostering right now. I didn't want to spend Luke's entire party refereeing Max, but Max usually does find a way to make himself the center of attention. Between all the craziness, I found myself wanting to tell everyone to be quiet and focus on Luke for awhile. Poor birthday boy; we even lost track of him for a short time. I know they say that nice guys finish last, but it also seems that, at least in this house, nice guys get ignored. I'm already trying to think of something to do just me and him on his actual birthday Tuesday. With a new baby, I think he could use some Luke and mommy time.





After cutting the cake and letting the kids play for awhile, he opened some presents. We got him a blow-up, ride-on dog that he's been eyeing at the toy store for some time now. When we're able to keep Max from stealing it, Luke has been in little Lukey heaven. He loves that thing! He also got some clothes, a book, some ninja turtle toys, and a very cute train bank. I was glad that we kept it to a reasonable level and that he's enjoying playing with his new things. He was a perfect gentleman opening them, and he even got to practice using his new phrase a lot- Thank You! I think, above everything else, that Luke enjoyed himself, even if I was disappointed in the day. Hopefully next year things will be a little calmer and we can make his day even more special.



No comments:

Post a Comment