This year's New Year's celebration was a marked improvement over last year. Last year I threw up more times than I could count, and Darreck was so deliriously sick he ended up sleeping in a closet. I kid you not. This year, the only one sick was Darreck, and he really only lost his voice, which in some ways was kind of nice. The guy needs some motivation to be quiet from time to time; it lets me catch up.
However, because Darreck was sick, we opted out of the church party and stayed home instead. We swung by the store and got enough junk food to feed a third world country for a week. There were pizza pockets, chips with dip, and cupcakes galore. I thought the boys' eyes would pop out of their heads when I kept throwing mounds of junk food in the cart. This is not usual behavior for us, but we certainly all enjoyed the little break from routine eating. We watched a movie as a family, and we got the boys to bed on time. Boring, but no need to throw us out of sync for the remainder of Christmas break. Darreck and I stayed up until midnight watching the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. If one can say anything for Darreck, the man really does love those turtles! I don't mind them much either...
New Year's day, for the most part, was a very laid-back affair. We slept in and lounged around the house all morning. The sloth behavior was primarily motivated by the freeeeezing weather we've been experiencing. After a glorious fall, winter has settled in deep. We went over to my parent's house for chili and Gram's amazing cornbread for dinner. Perfect ending to a great day.
Now we're sending Max back to school and preparing for the new year. I'm not going to sugar coat it- 2014 was rough. Between Luke's allergy diagnosis, getting rid of Tana, and going back and forth about selling the house, last winter wasn't a highlight in my life. It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of being pregnant. While this pregnancy was easier than being pregnant with Luke, it's still not a memory I'm looking to relive with regularity. Jack's birth, however, was certainly a highlight in our year. We love that squishy little munchkin so much! Things are looking up this fall, and I'm certainly optimistic going forward into 2015.
While I'm morally opposed to sweeping resolutions, there are some things I'd like to accomplish before 2016 dawns. Most importantly, I want to re-read both the Book of Mormon and New Testament, and attend the temple at least three times. Temple attendance is one area where we need serious improvement, but it's just so dang hard with the littles! Maybe someday we'll live closer to a temple, but for now we'll do what we can. I'm also trying to read 50 books in 2015, and I want to see my blog readership grow. I've really enjoyed writing, and I still can't believe my career is doing so well. It astounds me anyone wants to read what I write, but over 5 million people read something I wrote in 2014. Crazy! Seriously crazy! It would be cool to keep it going.
As a family, we're looking to make some great memories together. I love the ages of my boys right now, and I want to enjoy every minute with them. That won't happen (I am human after all), but I'll settle for as many good memories as I can fit in. We also want to continue to get our financial affairs in order. It's important to us to give the boys a secure today and a solid future. And lots and lots of good memories. This is the only 2015 we'll ever get, and I want it to count!
No comments:
Post a Comment