Sunday, March 27, 2011

Potty Training Diary: Week 1

Max decided he wanted to use the big boy potty this week. He started refusing to be diapered last week, and we figured we'd have to do something. However, I was really hesitant because he's still so young, but I figured we'd give it a try. Poor little guy is giving it such a good effort, but he's so stressed out! He's been really cranky and had a difficult time sleeping, but he just won't give up. It's put us in a difficult situation; do we let him keep learning, or do we go back to diapers and wait until he's less stressed about it?

I suppose that sums up one of the most difficult questions in parenting. It's hard to know when to push and when to let something go. Parents are always so quick to mention all the wonderful, advanced things their kids do, but sometimes it's harder to admit they just aren't ready. I'm willing to admit that Max has a hard time adjusting to new situations. He wants so much to please us, but he can be a little high-strung at times. With parents like us, though, I guess he's pre-disposed to it :) I just hope that we can help him be less stressed than we are- even if that means letting some things go a few months.

So, after one week of potty training, I think we're going to put it off for a few months. Yeah, I want Max to learn to follow through on things and work through his stress, but I'm much more concerned with relieving some of the pressure he put on himself. In our family, I think that's going to be a much more valuable life lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment