We left Sunday right after church and hung out at our vacation rental. We rented out a family home in Columbia Falls, and it was a great first experience with renting a private home for a vacation. Usually we struggle putting the boys to bed and being quiet, and there is never enough room to hang out in hotel rooms. This time around we got a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with 2 family rooms and a huge yard and kitchen. It was the perfect situation for our group!
So, back on track. Monday we went to Glacier park and hung out around the west side of the park. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was perfect. Unfortunately, the road construction was kind of a bummer. However, we enjoyed a great picnic and spent the day enjoying one of the most beautiful places on earth. Monday afternoon Darreck and I went horseback riding with Kayla which was... um... a little unexciting. You basically just walk the trail the entire time and, unfortunately, the trail wasn't very scenic. Kayla was so excited to go, and I'm pretty sure she was disappointed with the actual experience. Bummer.
Tuesday morning Darreck, my dad, and my sister went golfing at a ritzy golf club while I stayed back with the boys, my mom, and my grandma. It was a blissful morning of lounging on the lawn and doing absolutely nothing. That afternoon we checked out the city beach in Whitefish, a little gem I can't believe I went 25 years without visiting. We swam in the lake, which was perfect on the 93 degree day. Even Max, who is usually wary of water, waded out deep and had a great time. It's a definite must-do again! We had dinner at Hoo Hat, my new favorite Mongolian restaurant.
Wednesday was spent primarily in Kalispell. Under the threat of rain, we went shopping then had lunch at a barbecue place. Kalispell is cute and beautiful, but I'm glad it's not my primary shopping destination. In the afternoon, we walked downtown Whitefish. It was a fun flashback to our honeymoon, which was the last time we were in Whitefish.
Today was our last day, and we spent it in the park. After my requested breakfast of huckleberry pancakes in Hungry Horse, we took the boys over Going to the Sun Road, and it was an... interesting... first run :) Max through a fit when we told him to put his portable DVD player away and look out the window. Serious fit! He was joined in his whining by Luke, who didn't sleep all week, and was in a horrible mood. Darreck enjoyed the view, but probably couldn't enjoy it too much since he was driving. We'll try again next year! We grabbed a quick bite in Two Medicine (in between me getting car sick) then booked it home.
I'm equal parts relieved and sad to get home. It will be nice for Luke to FINALLY get some sleep- with Darreck and I along with it- and we certainly need to get some things done around the house. However, it's going to be hard jumping back into real life. I enjoy living in a bubble with my boys every once and awhile. Oh well, it's probably the change of pace that makes it so special. Someday, maybe, we can even take regular vacations without pregnancy or newborns or screaming babies making life harder! On the bright side, Max was a little rock start the entire trip. He traveled great and gave me hope for a brighter vacationing future. I love all my little men so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment