The Fourth of July was uneventful. I never put a ton of effort into it, so I guess I can't expect to get much out of it. We skipped the parade, went to my parent's house for a barbecue, and then Darreck and Max went to the fireworks while I let Luke sleep. We're going to have to find a better set of traditions for the Fourth, especially if I ever want to get anything out of it. Hmm, maybe something out of town and away from all the crazies trying to blow things up :)
However, the weekend following the Fourth was fun! We went camping out at Tolman's ranch with our good friends, the Allreds. I LOVE going out to Tolmans! They have stunningly beautiful property that they have developed into a campground. They even have a stream, a bunch of small ponds, and a playground for the kids. Every time we're up there it makes me want to build a little homestead out in the middle of nowhere, at least for the summer months. The views are incredible!
We went up early Friday and had a blast all day. We went for walks, played baseball in a field, and played in the creek. They have some rather large swimming holes, so the boys especially got their fill of swimming. We made our dinner on the campfire, and roasted marshmallows for dessert. Pretty much everything you would expect out of a camping trip.
Unfortunately, the night was unkind to us. A huge storm blew in right as Darreck and I went to bed, complete with insane winds and lightening (although, no rain. Odd.) Mercifully, Max slept right through, but Luke was up most of the night. The only place he would sleep was on his daddy's chest, and none of us except Max got much rest. Max, however, made up for it by waking up at 6:15- the crack of dawn.
Needless to say, we were all pretty tired as we struck camp and headed for home, but we're already planning our next trip. Max had a great time, and Luke is just going to have to get used to it! Hopefully the next night will go better...



No comments:
Post a Comment